Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius

Find an accurate transcript (and subtitles in 46 languages) on ted.com:

“Eat, Pray, Love” author Elizabeth Gilbert muses on the impossible things we expect from artists and geniuses — and shares the radical idea that, instead of the rare person “being” a genius, all of us “have” a genius. It’s a funny, personal and surprisingly moving talk.

TED Talks is a daily podcast of talks and performances from TED, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in many languages are available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate

Follow TED Talks on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tedtalks
Like TED on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TED

Comments

Emma Page says:

*The Ultimate Truth About Life And Death ▬ Google up: The Truth Contest*

Ros Betts says:

It really is our own ‘fear’ that keeps us from being the person we are in
our complete fullness.
Just being who we are, that intrinsic me – is hard work!

Jeromepsy001 says:

No wonder people created magnificent art back then because they think like
that.

Louis Salguero says:

Any writers among you? Elizabeth Gilbert will inspire you, she is AMAZING,
highly recommended……

Kenneth Brown says:

“‘There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is
translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in
all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never
exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have
it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable
nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it
yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have
to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and
aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. … No artist is
pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a
queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and
makes us more alive than the others.” –Martha Graham

Christine L Bowen says:

*#Success**, **#Failure**, & **#Creativity** — **#ElizabethGilbert*
#PowerOfPurpose #TEDTalk

#T

MortallicA91 says:

First world problems…. Seriously though if I ever reach to a point like
that it won’t be so dangerous.. atleast I think so. Be humble, do something
else for a while or try some teamwork.

Matthew Van tendeloo says:

I know what she means and maybe sometimes it works for some people. But
that’s not why someone would wanne die? Right? But i do have to say her way
is more beautifull then mine. Ofcourse i recognize the feeling for shure,
sometimes i get very clear signs myself and always try to capture whatever
it is. But that ain’t the reason why artists can’t handle there life
anymore?!. ,The way i experience my creativity. I think like most arstist
do, i block myself away from the world i just stop real life for a while,
only then i can let all creativity in. But people around me keep on living
and evolving without me and i have to keep up with them and i think that’s
the hardest task a creativ person can have. please do comment/like if you
do/not recognize, peace MatthewBE

Mohak Bhambry says:

A perfect blend of struggle and composure. How does it feel like to publish
your book?

Jonathan Fernandez says:

I used to dance and in ten years, only twice did I experience this feeling
of something taking over me and moving my body. I know it wasnt all in my
head because random people stopped to watch and they wanted me to keep
going. It was always in public and to live music. I felt it but when people
would ask me to keep going I could still dance but it was almost fleeting
then. Ill tell you after those experiences, Ive always felt that whenever
my time comes I would be alright with that. If I had to descibe the feeling
it would be as if the purest energy invaded my body. Like a spirit. I felt
no pain, I felt fucking strong. I felt like I touched some place that we go
when weve collected enough life experience. I was not on drugs either, im a
drug free person. No booze either. Trust me what this lady is talking about
sounds crazy but its real. It comes when you believe in the spirits around
you. In the laughter and love that exists in the people and places around
you. Throw yourself onto it like your body surfing on these forces. Just
understand that the next day it will not be there and you can spend your
life looking for it but it may not come. I think that it comes to the
brightest soul around, and it spends the evening there. So let go when you
get the urge and trust it.

Kanzee says:

hahaa..Afraid of Seaweed..good one..lol 😉
The Genii deep inside you , merges with you to become the Genius outside
of you..lol

Gail Spencer Lamm says:

A great talk

beberoo says:

As a poet I’ve always thought of myself as a conduit. Something out there
needs to be seen/heard/put into form and either I was at the right place &
time or it, for some reason unknown to me, chose me. If it’s the latter, I
know it doesn’t make me any more or less special. I’m just happy to be of
service. My take away from Elizabeth’s talk is that I need to show up more
often so I can serve this/my creative genius more often.

ARS-Hypnose-Berlin says:
Linsey Matthews says:

We have a name for “Daemons” and “Geniuses”, it’s “Muse”.

Peter Jones says:

hello . impersonal conscious , daze solves the concept of genius , quiet
naturally . with regards

Portia St. Luke says:

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of the bestselling novel EAT, PRAY, LOVE, speaks
with frankness, authenticity, insight, and brilliant humor about a subject
she knows well: allowing the creative process to work through you without
being destroyed by it from within.

Sarahí Félix says:
Corey Booth says:

BRILLIANT!!!!

Carmel St.Surin says:

I wish Youtube would allow individuals to turn off comments. I don’t wanna
read your bile, racism, sexism or any other negatives under my most prized
videos, and wouldn’t poison anyone else’s experience…

Anucha SeoDml says:

I needed this. Thank you.

Desi Roc says:

I try and LIVE by this. #creativity #writing #freelance #ghostwriter

elrolly says:

Put your face deep in your palm and retire.

Alice Hutmacher says:

love this. Yes, my creative genius is VERY elusive!

Bella Bamba says:

Bit of a blah talk…self-indulgent and no real insight. Just get on with
it, and if you don’t ‘top’ what you did before, get over yourself and eat
chocolate.

Eric Joyce says:

I’m with you Ms. Gilbert.

Rajesh Sridhar says:

Ole! Elizabeth. I am sure no one can understand how excited I am right now.
I have been searching for this kind of thing about writers so long because
I have been suffering from this kind of haunted imaginary source teaching
me to write in my A4 sheet and diary. Well the god thing you said is very
usual in south india. During functions of hindu gods, many people go dance
like real god got into them. I don’t have 100% belief in that or may be i
am not sure about that. Now that you have mentioned I think it is common
stuff in our species.

Infinitesimality says:

Wow! She is brilliant – if 1 in 10 people could understand this, the world
would be a much better place.

Voice Verso says:

A perfect blend of struggle and composure. How does it feel like to publish
your book?

Pedro Barrento says:

Just a remark. At 16:47 she says “when the Moors invaded southern Spain”.
Well, they didn’t. Spain didn’t exist at the time (it was created only in
the 15th century). The Moors invaded the Iberian Peninsula, where they
found and defeated a Visigothic Kingdom.

Perry Haldenby says:

awesome

Diane Dickens says:

I’m glad that she pointed out that, at forty years of age, she is still
quite young. Age bashing is also something that holds many back in their
endeavors. They think they are too “old” to do anything. Stop thinking like
that and live people! I’m in my late thirties and I feel like a 15 year old
every day I wake up 🙂

Seecret Willing says:

I think those TED TALKS are so accademic and kinda stupid in a way, if
anybody knows what I mean

efyska efyska says:
Robyn Singh says:

love this talk….

Russell Davis says:

It’s truly amazing how people can just eat up this new age bullshit, she
made a book off a $200,000 advance from a publisher after pitching the
idea, it was a marketing ploy to sell books to bored housewives and
effeminate men. She is selling you feel good nonsense folks.

Marius Mocke says: